March 22, 2010

Perseverance

I must quickly jot this down here, before I lose the formula (like scientist only hor...) Oh, you see, my specimen is one of the most stubborn species who will not budge or listen and I think this type of species is going to extinct soon. And this is what makes it all the more dear!
Anyway, yesterday, after many years of trying the old formula, I actually embarked (actually after many days of tolerance and deep breaths) on a new method. So, again, she did a slugglish attempt at her BM homework. For that, came more "+ve encouragement", more Maths sum. She budged reluctantly and came back with 8 out of 10 incorrect answers. I gritted my teeth. What should I do? No ugly scene. So, I let the specimen grind herself on the sofa and she continued her whining with promises of 'no TV, no computer games, no anything!' She persevered, I did too!
Then, this morning, I told her "no TV time today because you didn't finish your Maths yesterday". I got the younger brother to tone down his TV volume. She whined somemore. I explained coolly, how she should do her Maths questions, "With your heart" and after that you can join your brother. And I went off with my chores. And when she was done, I was pretty proud to say, she got them all correct! I showed her the comparison with yesterday's work and she seem to understand that there was no need to fight a losing battle.
So, persevere. Hope I need not resort to this again and hope my dearest princess can go back to the sweetie she was 2 days ago without me having to use this formula at all. The key word, right time, right mood, let's persevere on the right note!

No comments: