October 8, 2008

Super Standard Ones!

Wah, our Education Ministry must think that we have super duper Standard Ones kah? I was going through the Malay subject with my daughter and guess what they are learning?

"papan kekunci, tetikus, pengimbas, laman web, komputer berinternet etc...” on one chapter. Ok, maybe we didn’t have these in our times because of computer system was not so common then.(kebelakangan already,… sign). Bet some of you dunno those terms right?

Then there is another chapter, “ perpaduan, berbilang kaum, kemerdekaan”, figuratives like, “jatuh terkorban, cahaya mata”. Can you imagine what my daughter asked me, “He fell down ah?”

On one hand, the ministry is saying that we must have all-rounded students, on another, we see students needing to learn all these terms by hard, since they are like jumping from ABC, to suddenly needing to learn difficult words and even make sentences with them! From the carefree kindy (I made sure my kids go to kindy that emphasise not only on academic, but also on moral and emotional intelligence), after they step into Std one, it is like stepping into “no fun” land. They have to learn penjodoh bilangan, kata tanya, kata hubung, kata ganti nama etc. And mind you, not the easy ones eg. “buah, batang or biji”, they are now at “sikat, bilah” etc. and not just “ dan, atau” they are even learning “ sambil, apabila, bagaimana, mengapa etc”, all in a matter of days and without much drilling or exercises from the teacher.

Seems to me like, they are cramming all there is to learn into one year, whereas, we used to only start to enjoy the beauty of the Malay Language by reading everyday , “ Ahmad pergi ke sekolah, Ali dan Ahmad ialah kawan baik”. Simple, but at least, I could slowly master the basic which is what is essential instead of just “learning without understanding”.

I am not sure what is the objective of all these. Shouldn’t we as adult, give the children the correct perspective and mindset. Now that many of these Chinese medium students are so petrified of the subject, I am not sure if we achieve anything by jumping the gun and letting a 7 year-old learn what a 9 year-old used to be learning.

I just hope and pray my daughter is not turned off in the other subjects as well. A lot of coaching is needed after school. It is no more just the happy-go-lucky yester years we enjoyed when we were sevens. I pity her at times, but yet, I have to guide her to the needful, even though I don’t agree that she has to memorise or learn not only the name of shapes and colours but also, “how many sides, how many concave areas, how many points”. Gee… learning is not so fun anymore.

No comments: