October 13, 2008

Just Do It!

Life decisions are often difficult to make. Sometimes, after we have taken the plunge, we think back and may start to waver. This is made worse when we start pondering the consequences of our actions. Whether it may be for better or worse, sometimes only time will tell. At times, some of us may tend to be affected by what others around us might comment. Or what others may innocently blurt out as passing remarks may make us think and lose sleepless nights.

Anyhow, whether the decision is to make sacrifice of one’s career opportunities for the sake of one’s children or family. Or to make a career switch that is the total opposite of one’s original vocation, one should be truthful to one self and ask some of these questions:
- What are my personal priorities?
- Will I be happier staying at home, with the kids, spending my time understanding their temperament, be there for all the tantrums, homeworks and spellings, hugs and kisses and of course be able to proudly say, “I manage the home well” (never ask for perfection though)
- Will I be able to work at home and be financially independent too? (In Malaysia, this aspect is a bit tough and many mothers are trying hard to break into this trend since society/employers are not supportive of flexi hours, or work-from-home arrangements. I am still trying!)
- If I switch career, what do I like doing most and yet, I can support my current lifestyle? Do I have sufficient knowledge in the field which I am going to pursue? And the ultimate question, will I be happy?

Sometimes, these questions cannot be answered once and stay stagnant. We might change our thinking or opinions as time progress. Maybe in a year or two, when a good opportunity turns up, or when the kids get a hang of school life (no need for mummy to keep tabs on schoolwork) or when it gets plain boring at home (with no topics to blog about!), then it is time to move and make that life decision again. Maybe that decisions may also change in a week or two!

The essence of it is, we make out what our life is, and we face the consequences. There is no need for us to bother what others do, usually do, should do, or will do. Just do it, and just do it our way!

No comments: