October 6, 2008

Dare to be Different

I hope this is good enough to add to my blog here. Well, probably just some of my rants and thoughts.

Ever since I stopped work, I know there have been many questions as to whether I would stop work totally, as in retire out of the corporate world, be a stay-at-home mother. Many questions loom in many people’s mind including some of my closest relatives who actually has my best interest at heart, I should think so. And of course there are those gossipers who won’t stop at predicting the worst possible reasons there can be.

Since young, I had always done things out of my own inkling. I am not someone who will just follow the herds or the majority. You see even when choosing college or country to further my studies, I had always dared to be different. When most of my close friends chose Singapore colleges, I chose a college in KL, When mostly went on to Singapore university or twinning programmes, I went straight for the UWA tertiary programme in Western Australia. Although I made new friends, but it is just lonely at times. But I guess when I see something ahead of me which I think warrant changes or different action, I will just step into it with no regrets.

I hope I can say the same thing now. Opting out of my permanent and stable job and working from home. I just feel that my family needs me more than my being trapped in a considerably high-paying job which at the end of the day, just makes me so tired out and pressured to even enjoy my family life.

If you ask me how it has been these 2 months at home. Well, I should say, “Very Good!”. At least I think I have managed to really spend time having fun with my kids, doing things we didn’t have time to do together before! We washed the car, played UNO, played jigsaw, made muffins etc etc. I hope the list goes on and I have more to add. I loved it, the kids too! It is so rewarding to hear my son saying, “ Mummy is my no. 1 person!”

And on her revision, my daughter is now more on track, although she is still struggling with her Malay Language. It takes time and a lot of patience. But I can see now, that she actually listens. I am trying to cultivate the smart learning habit instead of rote learning without much understanding. She is beginning to understand the need for her to concentrate in school and during revision time, as I made it clear that these are rewarded with playtime and tv time. She still needs a lot of coaching and reminders. Children are just as human as any of us. We need to be sensitive to their feelings and need for space. So, clear instructions and schedules are drawn out, and if she is able to follow thru, she will get to relax thereafter.

Well, I wouldn’t say that I won’t step out there to work at all. It will be perfect if someone would offer me part time jobs where I can balance both work and family, and be self-sufficient at the same time. If a good offer come by (I am still going for interviews), I will go back there. All I am saying is my priority is my family! I don’t think that is too much to ask for, is it?

It is just that again, I dared to be different. And everyone is asking “You are not working ah?” , “ You study so hard, then now don’t work, wasted lah…”

Well, how many of you out there, dare to be different?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big clap for you :)