November 10, 2008

The kids get chicken pox!

Strike 4D already! Both the kids have chicken pox! So, this is something for all mothers to take precaution of. Even though your kids may have already been vaccinated for chicken pox, they may get infected with the virus again. Beats me, but it happened!

Last Wednesday, my daughter told me, “Mummy, I have 2 spots here on my belly. “ I didn’t think much of it and sent her off to school. And the next morning, “Voila, what do we have, 2 kiddoes with spots all over the body”. Even my son have those spots with watery stuffs in it, though considerably mild.

So, the doctor confirmed its chicken pox, we are all grounded for 2 weeks at least. And the kids will have to miss the school concert which has been scheduled for this Friday (14th Nov), I guess. It is a real pity since they have already prepared and rehearsed for it. What more, my son is to get the much awaited prize for winning 2nd place in his kindy class.

Well, now, I am cracking my head over how to entertain these 2 kids who have too much time at home and what to cook for them taking note of all the taboos (dark sauces, beans, prawns, chicken, eggs are to be scrapped from the menu). So, it is quite a challenge too. And on top of that, there is a third patient in the house, the papa has a swelling gum due to a major dental surgery on Friday!

So, the things I cooked for the patients range from macaroni, noodles in anchovies soup, promfret porridge, pork porridge, bee hoon soup. I gave them mushroom soup too, but I guess that should not be given as well. Running of of ideas soon!

They have done almost all the things we can think of eg. played dinosaurs, Barbie dolls, build contruction lorries, played Jumpstart, watched Atlantis, Madagascar replay, drew Papa bear, done some holiday homework etc. I guess we will have to reserve the other activities for the many more days to come.

The other Chinese taboos, means the kids can’t take bath, wash hair, go play outdoor, etc etc. Anyway, I thought otherwise, so I let them take their daily bath, with warm water and wash hair on alternate days. I believe they have to be kept clean and cool, so that the blisters don’t get infected or multiply.

Other to-dos means making them a lot of cooling stuffs eg. barley water, liang cha, let them take pearl powder, yellow coconut juice etc. All these must be taken in moderation, in case their cough comes back.
The poor kids kept complaining of itchiness, esp. my daughter since she has some really big blisters. So, I started telling them my very own experience with chicken pox which was much more worse than theirs. And they were rather consoled and started asking, " Did you have them in your hair, eyes, belly button too?, Did you look into the mirror?". So, the Princess Scratch-All and Mr. Tortoise Eat-Slow kept jabbing me with questions about my own quest with the irritable ordeal.

Can’t spend time blogging too long, need to get back to the kids.

No comments: