November 23, 2008

Dog or No Dog?

The latest topic in the house is about the word ‘dog’. It probably started because I was toying with the idea of letting the kids have a pet since they have never had one, except for some small fishes. Actually, my idea was to get something small and manageable, eg hamster or rabbits. This is to let the kids learn to take responsibility and also to cultivate their caring attitudes towards animals. But recently we saw some puppies at a pet shop while out for lunch, and there you go, it is “dog-talk” everyday.

The puppies we saw were some mix breed of chi hua hua dog and miniature pinscher. My husband wanted to get a small dog that can be brought around even when we travel on trips and that can be trained. And most importantly, it cannot be too expensive (of course $$ is the biggest concern), considering we are going to be amateur dog rearers!

So, we told the kids the conditions before getting the dog. We told them that they need to show us that they need to be able to take care of themselves first before they want to take care of the dog. By that, we meant that, they will need take responsibility for their own schoolwork, toys, other belongings, their own cleanliness etc. etc.

The next thing they talk about is about where to put the dog. My husband suggested the toilet, since we have to train the dog to poo-poo at the right place. He even wanted to let the dog wander around in the house! By now, I am beginning to think this is not a good idea. Eeeks! As it is, I have tonnes of housework to complete after work, some more need to take care of another life in the house, which may be running around the house, messing up the place.

Gee, cannot lah, not good idea… but then, all three of them are already very enthusiastic about it. I don’t want to be the wet blanket. Me and my big mouth…

1 comment:

Mumsgather said...

Hi. I saw you on my follower's list. :) From my sister's experience, its a bad idea. Mummies always end up doing all the dirty job of cleaning dog poo, removing dog hair from furniture etc. Haha.

BTW, good luck in your new job.