June 22, 2010

Your child is not your child!

So, I came across a saying 'Your child is actually not your child'. Irony, isn't it? I gave birth to him, of course he is mine.

What this statement is trying to tell us is there is a separate identity between our child and us although he is born and bred by us. We should treat him like another individual and not put high expectation on him. Our duty is just to be there to guide and nurture him to be useful beings to the society with the good qualities and right attitudes.
So, there is a little balancing act to do. You do too little, you are not a good parent. You do too much, you are expecting too much and your kid will not like it. As a wise parent, we should try to let them learn as much as possible on their own though our presence is very important to guide them whenever it is needed. Sometimes, it is easier said than done. We learn to let go when we should and we learn to hold the reins when needed.
With this, I should be able to take my daughter's result more lightly. I cannot expect much more, since she has to realise it herself. Afterall, I was there to guide her, perhaps now I have to change the method a little more so that she gets more receptive.
Well, parenting never gets easier.

No comments: