December 6, 2010

Vietnam Trip - Day 4 Sapa

26th November 2010
Sapa


The weather was still foggy. We walked around the markets nearby and bought some local dried stuffs eg. mushrooms, dried bamboo shoots, some local crafts etc. I bought 2 handbags for myself (I never pampered myself so much before!).

We came across a Hmong lady who was carrying a 9-month old baby on her back, while trying to sell her goods. The baby looked so cold and small. She had dirty hands and face, but she was smiling out from her mother’s basket. We gave her some biscuits, she gladly took it in her small hands and put in her mouth. Yum! Her mother, who is 45 years old told us, she has 4 other older siblings, the eldest who is already 20+ years old!


Even a few days after that, I was still thinking of the little baby. What future does she have? What will she be when she grows up? Walk around, selling goods to tourists, just like her mother, and the other girls we saw? But the children there look so carefree and happy. Maybe, that's the simplicity of life!
Hmong kids playing rope jumping.

I wanted my kids to see the the poor people's life in Sapa, I think they would want me to see how other kids enjoy their childhood...

In the evening, we took the overnight train again, from Lao Chai to Sapa.
More to come...








No comments: